Spanish Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup quinoa or rice (thoroughly rinsed and drained)
- 2 scant cups vegetable stock (sub water, but it will be less flavorful)
- 4 large red, yellow, or orange bell peppers (halved, seeds removed)
- 1/2 cup salsa (plus more for serving)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (drained // if unsalted, add 1/4 tsp sea salt per can)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 ripe avocado (sliced)
- Fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Diced red onion
- Add quinoa and vegetable stock to an Xtrema saucepan or stockpot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy - about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and lightly grease a 12-inch Versa Skillet.
- Brush halved peppers with a neutral, high heat oil, such as avocado oil or refined coconut oil.
- Add cooked quinoa to a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients - salsa through corn. Mix to thoroughly combine then taste and adjust seasonings accordingly, adding salt, pepper, or more spices as desired.
- Generously stuff halved peppers with quinoa mixture until all peppers are full, then cover the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered. Then remove the lid, increase heat to 400 degrees F (204 C), and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until peppers are soft and slightly golden brown. For softer peppers, bake 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve with desired toppings (listed above) or as is.
Recommended Products for this Dish
translation missing: en.products.general.from_text_html