- 2-3 eggplants
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2½ cups whole ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- Position racks in the middle and upper third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick strips. IF using 3 eggplants, discard any small or misshapen pieces. You should have about 24 strips. Sprinkle the strips with ¼ teaspoon salt and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and brush both sides with oil. Place on silicone mats on baking sheets., overlapping the slices a little if necessary. Roast until soft and beginning to brown, swapping the pans from top to bottom midway, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, ¼ cup basil, 2 teaspoons garlic and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl. Spread ½ cup of the mixture in two Xtrema Versa Skillets. Squeeze spinach to remove any excess liquid. Combine the spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic in a medium bowl.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, spread a generous tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on each slice. Starting from the narrowest end, roll up the slices and place in the Xtrema Versa Skillets seam-side down. Top with the remaining tomato mixture.
- Bake the rolls on the middle rack until the tomato mixture is hot and bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and preheat the broiler to high.
- Top the rolls with mozzarella. Broil until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup basil and serve.